This Pastina Egg Soup Recipe is a super simple and can be done in minutes!
Every time any of the children of my family visit our Nanna Carrie, who is from Santa Venera in Malta, they ask for pastina. Nanna has made this since I can remember. This is Maltese comfort food.
In my family, this is lovingly referred to simply as Pastina. You will find this recipe called Pastina Egg Soup or Acini Di Pepe Soup. The recipe uses traditional staples of a Maltese kitchen. For those of you who are not fans of Lima beans, I promise they are yummy in this. If you still want to try something in place of Lima beans you can use peas, just cook for a shorter time. You will see other recipes for Pastinia Egg Soup using spinach or peas and carrots, however according to my Nanna, Lima beans are the traditional way.
While the last thing my Nanna would think of is becoming a vegetarian, this is a great vegetarian recipe.
To make Pastina Egg Soup Recipe simply:
- Bring chicken broth to boil.
- Add in Lima beans and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add in pasta and follow box cook time.
- While pasta is cooking beat two eggs.
- Add in eggs when pasta is ready. Use fork to mix in while adding. The egg cooks for about 1-2 minutes.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Pour into bowls and top with Parmesan.
In case step 5 sounds tricky, here is a video of the method.
Like I said, this recipe is really quick and easy. Another generation enjoying the comfort foods of Malta. Hope you enjoy!